York Pride day gets off to a fabulous start with our Parade March from York Minster, through the streets of York city centre to our Festival site on the Knavesmire.
Our loud and proud Parade is a colourful celebration of our community and a march for equality and LGBT+ human rights in the UK and around the world. It's our chance to show what a diverse and inclusive place York is and to show that hatred and prejudice have no place in our city.
Parade Route & Times
The Parade assembles in Duncombe Place, outside York Minster, at 11.30am ready to start at 12 noon.
It makes its way through the streets York city centre and along Bishopthorpe Road to our Festival site on the Knavesmire, arriving between 1pm and 1.30pm.
A map of the full route is below:
Watching the Parade
Everyone is welcome to cheer on the Parade anywhere along the route and enjoy the carnival atmosphere as it passes by!
Please note that popular locations for watching the Parade, such as Duncombe Place, St Helen's Square, Davygate, Parliament Street and Bishopthorpe Road Shops can get busy, so arrive early to get yourself a good spot.
Taking part as a member of the public
Anyone can join fellow members of the community, allies, friends and family to take part in the Parade.
The general public doesn't need to register - just turn up on the day.
Taking part as a business, group or organisation
We encourage all community groups, charities, public sector organisations and businesses who support the LGBT+ community to join us in the Parade and make a visible statement of their commitment.
2024 PARADE REGISTRATION IS NOT YET OPEN...
Please note, all Parade Groups MUST provide a number of marshals. Our team will let you know how many of these will be "group lead marshals" who will be required to attend one training session in the run-up to the big day.
Things to note...
Here are a few handy hints and tips to make sure everyone enjoys their day:
● Wear your best Pride outfit, but be mindful of the weather! Think about bringing along sunscreen and/or a coat, poncho or umbrella - just in case...
● Our Pride Parade is one of the longest in the country at 2.4 miles, and takes around 60-90 minutes to complete, so please wear appropriate comfortable footwear!
● Stay hydrated! Remember to bring a bottle of water along with you.
● The Parade follows the public highway and so is relatively flat, however we do go over a few cobbled streets but this is unavoidable on our route.
● Flags, banners and placards are welcome on the march, but remember you'll be carrying them for over an hour, and please make sure they don't have anything offensive on them.
● A number of short-term temporary road closures will be in place on the day to allow the Parade to safely pass through. These will be signposted in advance, but please allow extra time if travelling.
● Pooches can show their Pride too, as well-behaved dogs are allowed on the day. Please be mindful that large crowds will be present and please keep them on a lead.